Owner / Director of Imagine Music Inc., Jennifer Aumentado held a workshop for her Teachers on October 14th and presented “Teaching Beginners in a Modern World”. The information presented was useful to teachers at any level from our new teachers to experienced ones. With changing times and modern technology, keeping up with knowing the best way to teach beginner students can be a challenge.
Subjects reviewed were: basic body concepts, finger striking, note reading, rhythm concepts, the importance of fun music, assessing students, parent involvement and so much more!!
A few interesting highlights were:
– If students are continually looking at their hands instead of their books, try covering their hands with a piece of paper.
– Basic body concepts were discussed, as in the importance of good posture – i.e. sit up straight, shoulders back, arms and wrists relaxed, fingers curved not flat on the keys.
– To encourage students to practice – find songs that inspire them!
– Parents can help make progress faster by helping children practice at times that fit their schedule. Keeping the lines of communication open between themselves and the teachers also can help to see where students might need a little extra help.
– If the student is old enough to write in their own practice book -they can mark down the things they need to work on for the following week. This will help reinforce it in their mind.
– The importance of keeping your students interested in music and wanting to learn more was emphasized. This can be done by adding in a “Fun Book” of songs or for younger children simply adding in some music games or coloring. Kids love coring and while their at it don’t even realize they are learning their notes!